Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Movie Review: About Time (2013)

About Time (2013)

About Time

Director: Richard Curtis

Writer: Richard Curtis (screenplay)

Actors: Domhnall Gleeson, Rachel McAdams, Bill Nighy

imdb.com

Synopsis

At the age of 21, Tim discovers he can travel in time and change what happens and has happened in his own life. His decision to make his world a better place by getting a girlfriend turns out not to be as easy as you might think.

Review

When I got the invitation to see a free pre-screening of this movie, I had never even seen a trailer for it. Getting the opportunity to see it for free, though, I made the decision that I wanted to go see it. So, my husband and I signed up to go and invited two of our friends to go with us (who also knew nothing about the movie). We checked it out on IMDb, and I knew that I was going to enjoy the movie. I love time travel, love, R-ratings, and romantic comedies all in one movie.

The beginning of the movie was a little slow for me - but generally, movies like this are because of the time needed to set up the story to come. They definitely wanted the watcher to get a good feeling of who the people were and why we were supposed to care about Tim (Domhnall Gleeson) or his family. I think it did a good job with it. Tim was a good main character. He was goofy, clumsy, strange, and all-together lovable. He had just the right amount of quirkiness.

The actors that truly shined in this movie was Bill Nighy (Dad) and Richard Cordery (Uncle D). The rest of the cast was wonderful too, but they brought the most laughs and provided some of the best moments of this movie. I didn't expect to laugh as much as I did during this movie. The jokes were very understated, but they were done with perfect timing and amazing delivery. Every moment of this movie was well planned.

Knowing some of the movies the director of this movie has under his belt let me know that there would be tears at some point, and he didn't let me down. It was definitely a tear-jerker in the best way possible. It pulls you in and makes you love each character as part of your own family - and you hurt with them and you laugh, cry, and love with them. But, they balance the teary moments with wonderful, thoughtful, and funny moments so that the watcher has a good moment to recover from what they were just going through. I went from laughing to crying to laughing to crying a lot and laughing some more.

I would suggest this movie to anyone looking for a good movie to see. You should definitely go see it while it's in theaters.

Go

No comments:

Post a Comment