Thursday, January 30, 2014

Life of A Blogger: Genres of Music




"Life of a Blogger" is a weekly meme hosted by Jessi @ Novel Heartbeat.  Each week, she chooses a topic to talk about to help her readers get to know her. The topic are non-book related so readers can get to know other bloggers on a more personal level.





I know that there are a lot of people that look down on country music as a bunch of hillbillies and rednecks writing about riding down dirt roads in their trucks, drinking beer/chewing tobacco, and women, but it is so much more than that to me.

I grew up listening to Garth Brook, Tim Mcgraw, John Michael Montgomery, George Strait, Kenny Cheney, Mark Chesnutt, Ty Herndon, Rick Trevino, Rhett Akins, and a lot of the other great 90s country artists.

They told wonderful stories that fed my soul. Country music means the world to me. I don't know who I'd be without it.


Oldies is another genre that I hold close to my heart. My grandparents did a lot to help my mother raise me and my sisters - they were our baby-sitters, our mentors, and our mamaw and papaw. When I was very young, I remember Oldies being on the radio every time we got in the car. I remember singing along to "Barbra Ann", "Duke of Earl", and other wonderful songs that came out of that generation.

Showtunes; I got hooked after my older sister watched Wicked on Broadway and came home with the soundtrack. It was just too good to ignore. My favorite showtunes to sing along to are anything from Beauty and the Beast (except for Human again), Legally Blonde the Musical (my favorite is Chip on My Shoulder), all Les Mis, anything Disney (I can sing some Disney songs in Finnish, Greek, and French), Sweeney Todd, Phantom of the Opera, Rocky Horror, and so many others.









Honestly, I could do this all day. I love every type of music - pop, rock, screamo, emo, alternative, hip hop, some rap, gospel, and just about anything else.


What are some of your favorite genres of music? Favorite songs? Feel free to sound off!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment